Sunday, March 19, 2006

Every time I have an email exchange like this one, my passion and zest and hope for skipping are reignited! I love imagining increasing numbers of inspired positive energy people skipping thorugh life and beckoning others to join them! Skip on Becki!!

My name is Becki Lake, 38 years old, 3 children, and I live in Windermere FL. That is right outside Orlando. I'm in a very well-to-do area (bordering on "Stepford Wives-Ville") and I have played with the idea of starting a skipping club for some time now. There are a couple of hundred stuck up women who wear $300 jog suits and walk up to the school in "gaggles" to get their children. I skip right past them and have become quite the talk of the town. The amount of eye rolling alone has saved these women thousands in eye lifts.

One day my 16 year old daughter and I were walking around our beautiful sand road neighborhood and I said, "skip with me Bethany!". She looked at me like I was crazy. I skipped the rest of the way to the house and after I nearly passed out on theliving room floor, I asked my husband, "What is the cut-off age for skipping? When are you too old to skip?

I laughed the entire time i was skipping so not only did it give me a great workout, but it strengthened my abs from giggling and it realeased endorphines...(I think)...I felt good anyway." So I came up with a great name for my club and tried to get people to skip with me. No one would. Or they say they will but don't actually go thru with it.

All of a sudden, interest has sparked. I lost an incredible amount of weight and everyone wants to know how I did it. By chance I came across your site. Looked at it for 3 seconds and skipped straight to this email to tell you how excited I am.


Wow Becki!! I loved your email...Your skipping energy just leapt right out of the computer screen and touched my heart in a magical way! Thank you!!

My first piece of advice is not to get frustrated by the fact that you are having trouble getting people to join you. Your best bet is to find one or two inspired friends and to plan a skipping outing with them where you spontaneously get people to join you in the moment...Skipping clubs are more about quality than quantity! It is just too big of a deal for most people to skip still. But people like you and me are slowly doing our part to change that hopefully!!! You also might work on organizing a walking group where you skip from time to time as that is a lot less intimidating. As you learned from your skips, it is much harder work than you might think...so it is good to let potential skippers know your outing will accomodate all fitness levels!

With that said, we have had 50+ skippers skipping at a time here in San Francisco! That was after the San Francisco Chronicle did a big story with the headline "She'd Like to Teach the World to Skip". Most group skips are somewhwere between 3-20 people...and we always invite others to join us for a skip or two along the way.

Some "skipping clubs" have focused on organizing one fundraising event vs. trying to do regular skips....That works out pretty well...and you can get kids involved. After all kids are natural skippers.....and it is great fun to ask for their help getting more adults to skip....All you have to do is ask them if they think the world would be happier if teachers and principals had to skip every day! :-)

Well, I wanted to write back right away since your email made me so happy...It's a beautiful sunny day here in SF so I am going to go out skipping! Let me know as your skipping club comes together. I'd love to profile you on iskip.com. Skip on! Kim

No comments: