Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Day Nine

Today was a full tilt boogie skipping kind of day! For the first time since my 21-day experiment began, this was the first time skipping was my practice of choice. This morning, I skipped from my apartment all the way to the bank to get a cashier's check to buy my dream car....A 1999 electric blue anniversary edition Mazda Miata...I didn't care that it was raining...This was a victory skip!

I have been longing for a blue Miata for over ten years. I've done all kinds of things to try to bring one into my life...Visualizing how it would feel to drive one...Drawing pictures of myself behind the wheel...Telling everyone in my life how much I wanted one. Most people who know me know it has been a long time dream....and it feels amazingly sweet to finally see it become a reality! Yes!

A very symbolic thing happened on my skip this morning. I was moving pretty quickly down a wet, fairly slippery sidewalk in the financial district. I went to stop in the crosswalk and landed on a wet metal grate instead. My feet slipped out from under me and I went down hard on my bum. I heard the people behind me gasp out loud. I sat on the ground for a breath or two and tried to absorb my shock and embarrassment...As soon as I could I stood up, started skipping full steam ahead, and never looked back.

As I caught my breath and walked in the bank, I saw how poignantly metaphorical my fall was. I skipped full steam ahead in my life for a very long...and ultimately fell flat on my ass when I decided to quit my job to focus on my dream full time. It took some time, but I got back up and kept on skipping...and today I got to fully enjoy the fruits of my labors! Happy days are here again. What a blessing! Skip on!

No comments: