Friday, February 24, 2006

Day Five

After work I went to hear Sister Helen Prjean speak about the death penalty at Grace Cathedral. She's the nun who wrote the book Dead Man Walking. Her story is a perfect example of the unique things we can be called to do in this lifetime. She talked a lot about striving to be faithful to the things we are called to do...and the role of grace in that. She encouraged us not to underestimate what one inspired person can accomplish and reminded us that sometimes we are called to do soul sized things! I loved that since skipping definitely feels that way to me.

Since I was already there, I stayed and walked Grace's outdoor labyrinth after the talk. Flashes of wisdom from previous walks flashed through my mind. I got really present to what a sacred place the labyrinth has been for me since I first walked it over seven years ago! It's where I found the inspiration to start the skipping movement after all!

I left Grace tonight feeling optimistic. Sister Helen spoke tonight about how this is an amazing time in history to be alive...She called all of us to get into action in our lives and to keep taking a stand for social justice. Right on Sister Helen! Skip on! :-)

No comments: