Tuesday, October 18, 2005


This past weekend my skipping friend Tania and I had another fun adventure!

A couple weeks ago I got a call from another skipper named Dina who had been on one of the groups skips I used to lead in Golden Gate Park. She said she was making a documentary on depression and wanted to include something about skipping.

So Tania and I met up with Dina and her lovely camera person (whose name I don't know how to spell) in Golden Gate Park on Saturday to get some skipping footage and to be interviewed about the benefits of skipping. There was a drumming circle by the conservatory of flowers and we skipped to their magical beat. Little kids skipped with us. The three of us held hands and skipped all around. It was another grand skipping experience.

Skipping (the kind without a rope...just leaping happily down the street like we all used to do as kids) is great exercise for the body AND the spirit! It burns twice as many calories as walking and has less impact on the body than running does. Another interesting way to look at it is that running is based out of our fight or flight reflex. Animals run to get away from something...But skipping is like an animal frolicing freely in a field...The energy of skipping is playful and fun....I think that's what makes it my favorite form of exercise! (I should also say that I'm also pro-running and am not saying that PEOPLE who run are escaping.) Skip on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sister is a MAD WOMEN! "Here's to Corbin Creativity" (raising my glass)

love - b