Saturday, July 16, 2005

Last night I went to San Francisco's famous Great American Music Hall to see the Chicago Blues Reunion Band. It had been a while since I'd been to a larger venue to see live music and I had forgotten how much I love it!

Early in the evening, I met two brothers who were going to be swimming the Alcatraz Sharkfest race from Alcatraz to San Francisco this morning. They were born and raised in San Francisco and both told me how they love to skip and have been doing it for years.

People who are natural born skippers who have been skipping their entire lives often have an interesting reaction to the skipping movement. These guys were a perfect case in point.

They said they loved to skip, but when I told them about my website they said, "I don't need to go there. I skip just fine on my own!" Other natural born skippers have an attitude that says, "I have been skipping for over twenty years. What do you think, that you invented skipping or something?!"

I guess I can understand where they are coming from...But the thing that they don't realize is that there are a lot of us out there..Me included...Who might have been blessed with a spirit that loves to skip...But who have a lot of cultural programming to get over in order to be able to skip freely down the street.

A huge part of the reason I created iskip.com is because I have a magical vision in my head of what would happen if all of the skippers of the world started skipping a lot more often...If skipping groups and individuals started being sighted in cities and towns throughout the country...What a fun and easily recognizable way to celebrate freedom and make a statement for positive energy.

If you are a natural born skipper, I encourage you to skip more often and more intentionally! If you are like I was, and have a lot of fear and a tough inner critic to get past before you skip, just do it! The joy and freedom on the other side of your fear is beyond worth it.

I believe with all of my heart that our world will be a happier place with more skippers on the streets! Skip on!

No comments: