Wednesday, December 12, 2007

For most of my life, I have dreaded mornings. Dragging myself out from under the covers in time to get ready for work almost always takes a gallant effort...I'd happily and easily sleep in until noon if given the chance.

Well, this evening a new friend presented me with a challenge when I confessed what a struggle waking up ready to face the day has almost always been for me. As an early riser and a firm believer in the benefits of starting the day off in an intentional way, she asked me if I would be willing to try a few simple things each morning for a week.

(1) spend the first few minutes i am awake focusing on feeling gratitude (2) drink a large 8 oz. glass of water immediately upon rising (also with gratitude) and (3) sit quietly for a couple minutes after lighting a candle and reading the following affirmation in a beautiful sparkling jewel frame she gave me, "you are illumined and all around you serves your greater good. everyday is the arising of splendor. there is nothing but everyday life. om."

Back when the skipping movement was going full throttle, I did spring out of bed truly excited about my life...and the idea of feeling that way again really appeals to me...Listening to my friend rave about the impact starting her day in a positive, intentional way has on her own life really sparked my curiosity and gave me hope for feeling that way again. I like that she suggested such simple things that don't take very much time at all.

I'm intrigued and feel up to the challenge! Tomorrow will be my first day. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: