Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Every year for nine consecutive years, I have attended the Burning Man festival in Black Rock City, NV. Burning Man is an experiment in community where 35K people build a temporary city where the only “rule” is radical self-expression and an open mind. The experience is unlike any other. It definitely transformed the way I look at my life and the world in positive ways.

This year, however, I decided not to go. The event has changed a lot. I have changed a lot. And my heart was urging me to look elsewhere for the sense of freedom and adventure I first discovered at Burning Man. So I decided to go on a solo road trip adventure in my Miata to the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

In fact, I am writing this entry from my hotel that sits right on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Wow! This is my first time here and I am amazed. Talk about awesome and glorious. Whooo-weee! The skipping conditions are a bit treacherous...But, of course, I’ve managed to do it a little bit here and a little bit there.

My whole intention for this trip is to connect with spirit and to work on my book project…Everywhere I look I find myself filled with a sense of awe and wonder…and the writing has been flowing. Sometimes it feels a little weird or disconcerting to be traveling alone. But at the same time, I can see how doing so is allowing me to go deeply within in a way that isn’t possible when I’m with other people.

Later this week, I’ll be staying in Sedona which is one of my favorite places on earth…I’ll be sending those of you who are headed out to the desert for Burning Man lots of cool, wet, water energy as I work on my book poolside! Skip on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on Skipper ! Great Picture !
Great inspiration for me and realizing why I am not going to BM this year. I am enjoying my freedom. Love, Anniebell

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting this here for me to see. I love you so much and it brings me such great joy to see your smile.
Patrick