Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Skipping on the treadmill has to be one of the most fun things you can possibly do at the gym.

I feel like I am finally over the hump as far as getting myself to workout before work. I've gone the past two mornings and that is all it takes for me to remember how great it makes me feel. I've been thinking and talking a good talk about getting back into a regular exercise routine for a few weeks now...So it feels good to finally be in action around those intentions.

The thing I love most about skipping on the treadmill is the sharp energetic contrast between my skipping and that of the runners next to me. I feel so playful and free. At first, I worried my skipping rhythm might throw the runners off, but most of them are so in the zone they hardly seem to notice I'm skipping. I play a happy song on my ipod and completely get lost in my joy. This morning the song of choice was Cool Change by the Little River Band.

Why not give skipping a try the next time you are on a treadmill? I usually start by setting the speed to a brisk walking pace... Try 4.2...I walk for a couple of minutes then warm up by mixing about 10 skipping steps in every so often. Eventually I work up to skipping for several minutes at a time with a minute walking breaks in between sets.

Of course, it's good to practice skipping a lot on solid ground before moving to the treadmill! It's much more challenging to skip on a moving object. So skip safely and skip on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Skipping sashaying, hopping, galloping are all great workouts on the treadmill. It's what madonna does. My heart rate is higher and other less active accessory muscles are used giving you a leaner look and not the flat runners butt! People tell me I look cute and happy skipping on the treadmill!