Saturday, June 10, 2006

Wow. For the past hour or so I've been reading through the archives of my "As the World Skips Newsletter" on topica.com. When the skipping movement was at its peak, I sent it out every month like clock work to report on the miraculous skipping happenings around the world. I'm re-reading them as research for my book project! It's great fun.

One of the sections of the newsletter included quotes from skippers across the country. I thought it would be fun to share some of them here...

"I love the spirit skipping represents: inner joy, community, and gentle rebellion. May the skipping movement continue!!" --Eric in New York, NY

"I've learned that it's really hard to remain in a bad mood when you are skipping. It instantly lightens things up and chases the blues away! In these serious and stressful times, I know few people who couldn't use a dose of silliness in their life. Iskip's message is important, and an idea vital to our survival in the 21st century." --Venus in Austin, TX

"Well, inspiration abounds when I skip and I do feel like a kid again. It frees the cobwebs, stimulates the soul, and enlightens the spirit." --Nancy in Beaverton Oregon

"When I skip, I can go back to sitting on my grandmother's front porch, waiting for the ice cream churn to stop. When I skip, I am taken back from the Internet, my cell phone, having to remember zip codes, area codes, my kids' social security numbers, my email address. When I skip I can think about all of the fun I still have with my sister, giggling and dancing just like we did 40 years ago." --Sharon in Dallas, Texas

"We all know you can't do it without smiling and the most satisfaction I get out of life is making others smile. Try just telling someone you go skipping and watch their reaction. I bet they smile. Actually get them to skip or skip in front of them and I guarantee a smile." --Tammy Wilson, Alexandria, Virginia

"Before I read about iskip.com, I would only skip when I went out really early in the morning and I used to pretty much stop if I saw anyone coming. But now I have the courage to skip whenever I feel like it. I like to skip because I can't help but smile when I'm skipping (either I'm too uncoordinated to frown and skip at the same time or else it's a physical impossibility!) I know people would feel better if they took the time to skip when they need to perk up." --Nancy in Thousand Oaks, CA

I still send out "As the World Skips" when the spirit moves me, usually about once every few months or so. If you'd like to subscribe all you have to do is send an email to iskip-subscribe@topica.com

No comments: