Saturday, June 24, 2006

I'm having another fun day skipping down memory lane doing research for my book project. I just found a list of "Thoughts on Skipping" I wrote way back in 1999 when I first started the skipping movement. I thought it would be fun to share...

***It's about much more than skipping. It's about a state of mind. It's about people remembering what it feels like to let go and truly enjoy the moment whether by skipping, blowing bubbles, riding a bike with no hands, rolling down a hill, or singing a silly song. It really can make a difference in leading a happy life.

***It looks a lot less stupid than power walking and is a lot more fun.

***Someone recently asked me how I can possibly skip around when there is so much tragedy in the world. My response? That's exactly why we so desperately need to infuse positive energy into our livs. We are so bogged down by the negativity in this world that when we hear an innocent and happy story, many question if it should even exist. I'm in no way trivalizing the negative forces that are infiltrating our society. I'm merely trying to counteract them by spreading the word about something positive that truly makes people happy.

***When I tried running, I felt like unless I could go for at least a half a mile, it wasn't worth it. That's one of the great things about skipping. There are no rules. You can walk a block, skip a block, run a block. You can skip long distances. Or you can skip just for the heck of it in places like the grocery store. Skipping preferences are a very personal thing.


***When I rediscovered skipping as an adult and built my website, I had no idea how many "closet" skippers there were out there. I receive email after email from people thanking me for having the courage to speak my skipping truth! They help keep my passion alive day after day!

It's amazing to stop and realize that my passion for skipping is still alive over seven years later! Wow. What a long strange skip it continues to be! Skip on!

No comments: