Wednesday, September 28, 2005


There's been something special about Wednesdays lately. It was Wednesday last week when Tania and I had our random fireworks skipping experience and tonight I had another truly magical skipping moment.

After work, I met my friend Karen to walk the labyrinth at Grace Cathedral. The labyrinth is a meditative, spiritual tool that pre-dates Christianity....It really helps me quiet my mind enough to get a big picture perspective on what is going on in my life.

Karen and I shared about the intense changes we are each experiencing right now....Me needing to go deeply inward so I can write the book I feel called to write....and her feeling powerfully inspired to step even more fully into her role as an ordained minister. We talked for quite some time and then quietly walked the labyrinth. It felt great to breath it all in.

As I walked to my apartment after saying goodbye to Karen. I heard the voice of a little boy behind me. I thought he was saying, "I got a balloon! I got a balloon!" But then I heard his Dad say, "That's not a balloon, that's a backpack." That was when I realized the little boy was talking to me.

For the past six years, I have carried a bright yellow smiley face back pack nearly everywhere I go. This little boy was mesmerized by it. I asked him if he liked smiley faces and he said that he did. Then he proudly announced, "I have a boo boo." I asked him where it was and he pointed to his knee. Then he stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and pulled up his pant leg to show me. He said it happened at his Mama's house.

I ooed and aahed at the boo boo and asked him how old he was. He proudly said "two" and then he started galloping down the sidewalk as he looked back at me. His Dad said, "He wants you to run with him!" before quickly stopping him because a car was coming.

After the car passed, he told the little boy to take his hand while they crossed the street. The little boy held out his other hand innocently signaling to me to hold it. The three of us held hands as we crossed the street, then the little boy was off and running down the sidewalk. His Dad laughed as he started jogging behind him. I naturally broke into a skip. His Dad was clearly a skipper too because he immediately joined me when he realized I was skipping. The little boy was too young to know how to literally skip, but he knew the most important part which was that the three of us were sharing a delightfully playful experience.

Before turning off on my street, I gave the little boy one of my iskip.com stickers and told him I wished there were more people in the world exactly like him! His Dad enthusiastically agreed and said, "Yes, wouldn't it be wonderful!?" Then we were waving goodbye and they were gone.

Random skipping encounters like I experienced tonight are one of my favorite things in the entire world! I hope I don't have to wait until next Wednesday for the next one! :-) Skip on!

No comments: