Monday, May 15, 2006

I got this letter from a doctor in England and wanted to share....

Dear Kim, I'm a doctor in Paediatrics in the uk and i'm writing an article on why adults don't skip? like kids, any comments? quotes? opinions? Many Thanks, Dr. Devadas

Here's my response...

Dr. Devadas, Many people I have talked to have memories from Junior High School of their teachers telling them to stop skipping because it is for little kids.... As we get older, we forget about how important it is to be joyfully present in the moment and spontaneous. We become so focused on "being adults" that we lose touch with our childlike spirit that skips gleefully down the street without a care in the world.

It's fascinating to me how many adults are unable to let go of worrying about what other people think of them enough to skip down the street! As we get older, we want so much to fit in and to be respected that we learn conform. In the process, we lose touch with our innocence, our creativity, and our zest for life. We lose touch with who we realy are in our hearts and at our core.

Every time I skip down the street, an inner dialogue occurs. The kid in me says, "I love skipping down the street! It makes me feel free and joyful and happy!" The rational adult in me says, "You can't skip down the street. People will think you are crazy. Adults don't skip." Every time I choose to listen to my childlike spirit, it gets stronger.....and the part of me that is so worried how others will react loses power. Life is MUCH more enjoyable when your spirit is soaring and you aren't afraid to boldly express yourself!! Skip on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to share my experience of "skipping" my way through basic training for the U.S. Army. I hate running, and I would always fall to the rear when our platoon ran 1-5 miles several times a week. Eventually I got the idea to "skip" since I was in the back and had more room ( and less supervision...) It worked out great! I loved it, I still got the excercise - skipping 5 miles is quite a *feet*!