Thursday, January 26, 2006

Woo-hoo! There seems to be skipping magic in the air recently. Here's an inspired email from a new skipper in Pittsburgh...

I can't believe you exist! I live currrently in Pittsburgh, PA and just discovered skipping a few weeks ago. (I had actually thought about it and became jazzed a couple of years ago, but promptly forgot about the insight.) OK, so one day I'm going a few blocks to meet my daughter at the school bus, and I say, "I'm late, I need to get there quickly, I don't like to run, aw heck, I'm just gonna skip!" So I did, covered a lot of ground quickly, realized how absolutely efficient and fun and elating skippping was, and decided right then and there that I was just going to start skipping as an exercise. Then I began thinking, as I felt like I was doing something wrong or sneaky, "WHEN THE HELL DID SKIPPING BECOME "AGAINST THE UNWRITTEN LAW" OF BEING AN ADULT??"

That puzzled me. I mean, it's just not DONE. Why?? There is such a palpable feeling that "everyone is watching me and must think I'm crazy." This then leads to a defiance: "Just let one person stop me and say "what the Hell are you doing?" and I'll let 'em have it..."is there some kind of law against skipping?" Then I started thinking that I would just do it, attract attention, and then in my mind's eye I saw a bunch of us skipping down the sidewalk as a group, blasting convention, throwing caution to the wind, havng child-like fun, eventuially attracting media attention and then the rest would be history. Now, I find out you've already been there, done that (only in California! I actually used to live in the Bay Area...) As you say, people will be happier, healthier, less inhibited (because you break through that initial feeling of being perceived as NUTS, which can be a really deep liberation, as you already know!) I'm so damn excited!

Susan Richter, 49 years old
Pittsburgh, PA


Yes! Another inspired skipper hits the streets. Thank you for your amazing enthusiasm and energy, Susan, it comes leaping through the computer screen. I hope you will keep riding your skipping wave and take it as far as you possibly can...I believe with all of my heart that the world DESPERATELY needs the freedom of skipping right now......Especially here in America land of the free and home of the brave!!!!! Even though we think people will laugh and make fun of us for skipping, the truth is that MOST people are inspired by someone who is able to throw conventional wisdom and unspoken rules to the wind to skip skip skip!

No comments: