Thursday, July 05, 2007

Independence Day was really special for me this year.

Several weeks back, I met a guy named Don Foster at Downtown Novato's weekly farmer's market. He was there recruiting volunteers to participate in a group called PeaceNovato's entry in the annual 4th of July parade. I signed up right away!

Whenever an American soldier is killed in Iraq, PeaceNovato volunteers hand fold a paper crane and write the name, rank, and hometown of the deceased on its wing to honor that person. Then they attach the red, white, and blue cranes to portable display stands that are carried along the parade route. They needed over 20 people to carry the cranes this year.

I just love how the intention behind their project is one of honor for fallen soldiers. I also love how it puts a visual reminder of the cost of war in front of our faces so we have to look at it. I'll admit on the day I met Don I didn't know what the casuality count of the Iraqi war was. I'm glad I know now. I'm also glad to be contributing my energy toward raising awareness about the realities of the war in such a positive way. The more angry end of the peace movement spectrum has never really worked for me because I believe we literally must "be the peace we wish to see."

There were about 3,700 cranes in this year's parade, which was 1,000 more than last year. Julie, one of PeaceNovato's organizers, read off the names of soldiers over a megaphone as we walked. Since I was waearing my festive Betsy Ross dress, I also was given the honor of carrying a large sign at the front of cranes that included the number of Iraqi's that have been killed....conservative estimates say 70K....as well as the number of injuries, coalition deaths, etc.

A reporter from the local paper interviewed me at the parade for the story she was writing..and I made the paper. Here's an excerpt from the article...

If you've been to the parade before then you know what happens: Basset hounds dressed up in festive garb lope along Grant Avenue, dancers from Love2Dance perform a festive routine and the crowd soars with respect and adulation as the Pearl Harbor survivors ride by in a military vehicle.

But for Kim Corbin, a recent Novato transplant, this was her first parade. Corbin decided to not just be a passive observer, instead she put on a Betsy Ross costume she purchased in San Francisco and joined PeaceNovato with its crane entry.

“It's really nice seeing what America is all about, which is nice because there's a lot I don't like about America right now,” Corbin said.

“What I like about this entry is that they're honoring soldiers that have died. It's so important to give people a visual representation of the war,” she added.


The cranes were well received by the crowd with applause and genuine appreciation. My heart swelled with emotion in response to the warm reception we received. It was truly a magical day and I am proud to officially be a part of PeaceNovato's efforts.

Onward and upward! Together we CAN change the world

No comments: