Monday, July 02, 2007

I hardly consider myself a bible thumper, which is why I found my recent impulse to take the Bible off my shelf somewhat peculiar. But I learned long ago how fun and interesting my life becomes when I honor my spirit-fueled impulses, so I picked the good book up and dusted it off.

I randomly flipped it open to any page could hardly believe the words I read. I had no idea just how closely Jesus' propehecies match what is happening in our world today. Check out these passages from Luke Chapter 21...

"Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name claiming, 'I am he,' and 'The time is near.' Do not follow them. When you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away."

"Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines, and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven."

"When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city."

"There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the rearing and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redepemption is drawing near."

All of the above are quotes directly attributed to Jesus! Crazy stuff.

Now, fear not, I'm not about to veer off into an evangelical "Come to Jesus" rant....While I certainly think Jesus is the coolest, I personally believe the "second coming" involves the awakening of Christ's consciousness within our own hearts more than that one man who will somehow magically descend from the clouds one day.

But, regardless of what you do or don't think about Jesus, you have to admit it's pretty eerie reading such an accurate description of some of the scarey stuff that has been going on in our world lately. Man. Just sayin'!

No comments: