Tuesday, July 04, 2006


About a year and a half ago, I got a call from a guy named Chris Noxon who was writing a book called Rejuvenile. At the time, I was working at the Learning Annex and trying to rebuild after my catastrophic leap into skipping fame and self-employment.

Well, his book was recently published and Chris is getting an uncanny amount of PR! He was on the Today Show, Talk of the Nation, Comedy Central, USA Today, and more! Here's what Publisher's Weekly said about the book, "According to journalist Noxon, rejuveniles-adults who use childhood past-times as "a way of maintaining wonder, trust, and silliness in a world where these qualities are often in short supply"-are proliferating, and unlike other books on the topic of "kidults", his book says this is largely good."

He did an amazing job telling my story in the book in a section entitled, "The Brief But Thrilling Career of Kim Corbin Professional Skipper!" I am hoping to get permissoin from the publisher to excerpt the entire thing on my website, but for now I thought I'd share the very last part...

"But even in the midst of what she calls an "acute post-skip hangover," Kim is still wildly effusive about the power of childhood play. "Skipping reveals the true authrentic self," she says. "I may be on the sidewalk on the way to the grocery store, but when I skip I'm a kid at play. It activates the part of yourself that your adult self ignores." Yes, her experience as a skipping ambassador led to some hardship and disappoingments. But something unexpected came from promoting the virtues of childhood: Kim became a better adult. "Before skipping, everything was pretty easy for me," she says, "Skipping was a big leap. It taught me to follow my heart, no matter what happens. It was through that childlike spirit that I was forced to grow up. I thought when I started this that it was all going to be fun and easy, but of course that's not what life is. I had to learn about humility and patience and doubt and all this stuff that's not as much fun as riding the high."

It really is true that the skipping movement experience has taught me a lot about following my heart! I believe we all have a unique contribution we are born to make. I consider myself lucky to have discovered mine...Even if it seems strange to much of the rest of the world. Through an often painful process of trial and error, I'm learning to balance my childlike wonder with the realities of adult life...and it's a journey I wouldn't trade for anything...Not even the REALLY hard parts! Skip on!

No comments: